Sport and Exercise Science (Master) – subject to accreditation
At a glance
Length: 4 semesters (block teaching)
Credits: 120 ECTS
Course fee: €750/month
Registration fee: €550
Start of the course: October (accreditation)
- Undergraduate degree in sport science or a comparable degree programme
- Alternatively: undergraduate degree in natural sciences
- English level B2
Degree programme profile: Become a high-performer in four semesters
Sport and health are both megatrends. Their social and economic significance is growing steadily. Highly-skilled specialists are more important than ever before, whether in professional sports, preventative medicine, rehab or in research, education and teaching. The four-semester master’s degree programme in Sport and Exercise Science at LUNEX University develops your scientific competency and qualifies you as a coveted expert who can enjoy a wide selection of career opportunities.
Course objectives: More knowledge and expertise for greater opportunities
The master’s degree programme in Sport and Exercise Science brings together cutting-edge scientific insight and methods from the areas of sport, medicine, psychology and nutrition. Our highly realistic, didactically versatile curriculum blends research-based theory with practical applications to guarantee maximum learning success.
At LUNEX University, you will build on your knowledge of how physiological, psychological and biomechanical processes affect human performance. You shall learn how to use this knowledge in practical settings, becoming able to diagnose and optimise physical performance to suit specific target groups. This degree programme improves your professional prospects and expands the competencies that qualify you for demanding tasks in an international environment.
Target groups: For whom is the degree programme designed?
The degree programme is designed for sports enthusiasts, trainers and sports therapists looking to use outstanding scientific and practical methods to work in the fields of sport, training or performance and health diagnostics.
Do you already hold an undergraduate degree in the areas of sports science (or equivalent) or natural sciences? And are you looking for a bright and safe future in the areas of sport, health or teaching? Then get started: The master’s degree programme in Sport and Exercise Science at LUNEX University will get you across the finishing line. Click on the link for the admission requirements.
Structure and syllabus: This is what you can expect
The master’s degree course in Sport and Exercise Science lasts four semesters, including an internship and a master’s thesis. The course is structured into sections of block teaching: Lectures and practical courses take place in blocks lasting one to two weeks. They are followed by an intense self-study phase of three to four weeks. In addition, our students have constant access to online teaching materials and scientific publications.
The degree programme focuses on the diagnosis and optimisation of physical performance in the areas of competitive and recreational sport. You shall learn how to collect and interpret physiological, psychological and biomechanical performance parameters. Moreover, you shall investigate factors that inhibit performance and how you can use nutrition, psychology and the functionalities of biological adaptation processes to develop performance. You will then use this information to develop training schedules and programmes for various target groups, among them competitive athletes, recreational athletes and persons exercising for health reasons across all age groups.
- Introduction to sport and exercise sciences
- Research methods within sport science
- Applied psychology in sport and health
- Training and diagnostics for the cardiovascular and respiratory systems
- Musculoskeletal performance
- Training and diagnostics for the central nervous system
- Nutrition for sport and health
- Internship and professional development
- Research project / master’s thesis
Your training plan: This is what you will learn
- Examination and assessment of the physical performance of athletes
- Individual planning and implementation of effective training programmes for various target groups
- Diagnostics-based control of sports training programmes
- Planning of nutrition for sport and health to match the training schedule
- Implementation of evaluations and interventions in sports psychology for (competitive) athletes
- Scientific work in the area of health and sport
- Understanding of research within sport science, its critical analysis and communication
Course of study
You start with the introductory module in the first semester. Besides sports scientists, holders of bachelor’s degrees in other natural sciences are also admitted to the master’s programme in Sport and Exercise Science. This module is therefore used to level the playing field and make sure that all the students star with the same knowledge. In addition, students complete the Research Methods in Sport and Exercise Science module to build on their insight and skills in the fields of the planning, implementation and statistical evaluation of studies in the field of sport science. In addition, you will acquire extensive skills in sports psychology diagnosis.
Students focus on the various test and training methods in the core areas of sport and exercise science from the second to the third semester. The areas of physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, motor learning and nutrition are addressed as well. Moreover, the master’s degree programme includes an internship and a module on professional development that is used to promote key technical and personal qualifications such as teamwork, problem-solving skills and analytical thinking.
Students complete their master’s thesis in the form of a research project during the final semester. In doing so, they work independently on a scientific topic of their own choice, receiving supervision and support from one of our experienced lecturers.
Blending theory with practice: A successful team
We attach a lot of importance to close interaction between theory and practice. This is why our students complete practical exercises in our well-equipped training facilities and movement labs and apply what they have learned in the classroom.
They use innovative 3D sensor electronics and time barriers to analyse the characteristics of simple and complex movement sequences. The latest neurophysiological measurement methods are applied to examine the involvement of various muscle groups and the central nervous system in the execution of movements. A variety of ergometer models are available to assess the functions of the cardiovascular system In addition, students test the strength potential of various muscle groups, conduct computer tests to check responses, and evaluate metabolic status during sporting activity.
They also complete a 400-hour internship in a professional field of their choice during the third semester of the master’s programme. We will be happy to assist any student’s in finding a suitable internship position. For this purpose, LUNEX University has a professional network of national and international sports organisations, private-sector companies and training centres, which is still being constantly expanded.
Prospects after graduating: Reaching for the skies
As a graduate of the master’s degree programme in Sport and Exercise Science, you can look forward to a career in the Champions League of a growing and dynamic industry. Your prospects will therefore be extremely diverse – at a European and an international level beyond that. After all, it doesn’t matter whether you start directly in the sports business, conduct performance diagnostics for professional athletes or embark on a career in research and science, your extensive technical expertise will point you in only one direction: upwards.
Career and profession: Coveted team leaders
With your internationally recognised master’s degree in sport and exercise science, you will be a highly coveted specialist in many different areas of the sports, fitness and health sector. Depending on your personal interest and focus area, many sport scientists work as trainers, therapists, consultants, coaches or researchers – often in the highest echelons of management. Typical employers include:
- Sports clubs and associations
- Health associations and institutions
- Hospitals and clinics
- Therapy centres
- Public authorities and health insurers
- Universities, schools, further education centres and research institutions
- Schools for gifted athletes and football academies
- Sport and fitness centres
- Sports goods manufacturers and training outfitters
- Personal training agencies
Further qualifications and specialisation: The next level
You have to stay ahead of the competition to remain successful. As a graduate of the master’s degree in sport and exercise science, you will have an excellent foundation to enlarge on and expand your knowledge in specific areas. You might consider a doctorate to embark on a career in top-level research or completing an additional course to earn your popular trainer’s badges. All these things are possible, and many more besides:
- Doctorate (PhD)
- Earning of badges for trainers/coaches with sports associations and specialised institutes (e.g. the Trainerakademie Cologne, École Nationale de l’éducation physique et des sports in Luxembourg)
- Additional qualification as a sports therapist
- BASES certification as an exercise practitioner
- Certification as a personal trainer
- Certification as an inclusive exercise trainer
- Certification as a cancer exercise trainer
- Certification as a (clinical) exercise physiologist
Application: On your marks! Get set. Go!
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (EQF level 6) in Sports/Exercise Science or a related field of study (e.g. Physiotherapy, Kinesiology, Human Movement Studies, Physical Education)
- Alternatively: undergraduate degree in natural sciences, for example, in the subjects of biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics or computer science
- English B2 level (LUNEX written and oral English language test*)
* Note: alternatively, proof of B2 language level may be accepted (e.g. Cambridge, IELTS)
How to apply
Please apply via our online application form. After we have received your online application, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. Before you start your studies, we also need the following documents from you:
- Copy of the Bachelor diploma and transcript of records
- Current passport photo (3,5 x 4,5 cm)
- Health insurance certificate
Please send your documents to email@example.com.